Regular inspections of your roof can find many roof problems or potential leaks
before they turn into costly emergency repairs or roof replacements. Sky Roofing
recommends seasonal inspections such as spring and fall due to North America’s climate
- Exterior walls - Look for water stains or cracked mortar joints on the outside
of walls. Such problems may result from failed coping caps, counter flashings and/or
- Metal flashings - Inspect for loose or shifted metal counter flashings, termination
bars, coping caps, and edge metals. It is important that all fasteners are tight
and joints are sealed.
- Base flashings - Base flashings at walls and roof top units need checked
for splits, tears and/or physical damage. Often time a base flashings are the main
cause for roof leaks and roof replacements.
- Roof penetrations - Items such as pipe boots, vents, electrical conduit flashings
and pitch pans need checked due to the movement and vibrations they may have occurred.
This is a common area for leaks.
- Roof Surface - Splits, tears or punctures to a roof surface can cause water
seepage. In addition, this will eventually affect insulation, walls and ceilings.
- Roof drainage - A common causes of a leak is an obstructed roof drain, scupper
drain or gutter system. Debris such as leaves, sticks and dirt built up in these
areas causing water to back up on your roof. Eventually the water diverts into another
direction causing unexpected leaks. Retaining water in a hidden area can cause damage
to insulation and walls.
- Interior walls and ceilings - Do you notice water stains, sagging ceilings,
peeling paint, and wall cracks inside your facility? These signs could mean your
facility have repairs needed inside as well as outside.